This is the hardest part of my “transition” to being fully vegan.
Especially since noone else in the house is switching.
So I’m confronted with a pantry full of forbidden non-vegan ingredients when I am searching the kitchen desperately for something to eat. I feel like I should stick red dots on everything that’s Vegan-Approved so I can just scan the fridge and look for the dots. (That’s not a bad idea…..*putting “red dots” on the grocery list for today*)
SO! In the spirit of sharing my journey to a plant-based diet, here’s my list of things I need to get at the store today (not including the TOTALLY non-vegan cake ingredients I need to buy for my wedding cake this weekend…). It’s probably a good thing I don’t live near a Whole Foods so I can support my local Co-Op!:
- Fruit. Lots and lots of fruit.
- Veggies. LOTS OF VEGGIES.
- soy yogurt
- Tofutti “Better Than Cream Cheese“
- Green Goddess dressing
- agave syrup
- silken & extra firm tofu
- spinach pasta
- “sour cream”
- garam masala
- Ener-G egg replacer
- corn chips
- ezekiel bread
- Coconut Bliss ice cream? (if I can convince Mille to splurge on this, since she’s buying the groceries!)
And this whole vegan switch is making me want to go to Portland. REALLY BAD.
- Grant Butler with the Oregonian went vegan for a month. Great article on stocking the vegan pantry here.
- Abby Patten, a twitter friend of mine, helped me out and sent a me a LOAD of suggestions, from books to check out to recipes to blogs to specific brand foods to try
- Great blog posts on what you need to have on hand in your kitchen here and here and here
- Nice article from Vegetarians of Washington on what you need in your diet and why.
- Great site on veganism, killer list on what non-perishables you need for your vegan pantry, and books and tools as well.